Homemade Powder Laundry Detergent

My friends Brooke & Nicole have been making their own laundry detergent lately.  It is something I have been wanting to do for a while now & I just haven't found the time to do it.  The other day when my friend Steph came up for a visit, she started telling me about it and how easy it was to make. She got me all excited about it so I decided it was time to hit up Walmart!

20 Mule Team Borax $3.38
Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda $3.24
Fels-Naptha Soap Bar (x2) $.97 each
Purex Crystals (optional) $4.76
1 Gallon Canister $2.97


Steph gave me the recipe she uses.


First get a large bowl for mixing. 


Using a grater, grate 2 bars of Fels-Naptha soap into mixing bowl.  Add 4 Cups of Borax. Then add 4 cups of A&H Washing Soda. You don't have add the crystals to the mixture, but I wanted to have a scent.  (Crystals are totally optional) If you wanted to go completely frugal you can eliminate the crystals. You just put in as much scent as you want to have.  (I used 3/4 the bottle) Mix ingredients together.  I got the gallon canister at Walmart and I filled it up with the powder detergent I just made.


Use 1/8 cup per load of laundry.  This will make 128 loads.
With the Crystals I spent $13.32
Without the Crystals I would have spent $8.56

Steph also informed me that this doesn't suds up.  It will look like dirty water. But it WILL clean your clothes.
After I made this I was so excited to try it out but I realized that the new washer I bought locks.  So when I start the water for a load it locks up and I can't dissolve my detergent.  (I don't like throwing powder detergent on my clothes because sometimes it cakes on your clothes) So I have to dissolve it in water before putting it in.  So I guess I'll find a liquid detergent recipe and share it with you next :)

The lovely part about this is that I still have a lot of the Borax & A&H Washing Soda left over. So it will be even cheaper next time I go to make it.....this would be an excellent gift for someone!



5 comments :

  1. I make my own as well but I only use the liquid. The recipe I have uses that same items just less of them. You can find it here:
    http://www.icanteachmychild.com/2011/02/make-it-homemade-liquid-laundry-soap-1/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I'll have to give that a try next! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make my own liquid laundry detergent. I think im going to try this recipe out next. Im one of your newest followers from the Friday Chaos blog hop. I would love for you to follow me back at http://www.navywif33.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you make a blog post on it? If not, you should! I'd love to see how you make the liquid kind! :)

      Delete
  4. I’ve read some good stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you put to create such a great informative website. plastic spray bottles wholesale

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...